The Fly Castle or Château à Mouches (also called the "catiau à mouques") was almost certainly named on account of the abundance of bees present there. Salesian nuns were welcomed there and then the castle was requisitioned by the English in 1914-18 before being used to re-house families. In 1920, Mademoiselle d'Oresmieulx (the d’Oresmieulx were an important family in Fouquières, and a member of this family was mayor of the commune) wished to found a Carmelite convent and acquired this large estate which belonged to her family. This was how the first 7 Carmelite nuns to reach here founded a Carmelite convent on the site on 30th August 1922.
Today the convent is open for daily services. It has a shop that is open all year round and hosts exhibition-sales twice a year (around May 1st and 11th November). The products on sale come from other monasteries. Book-binding of all books can also be carried out upon request.
Rue Fernand Fanien - 62232 Fouquières-lez-Béthune
Mail : firstname.lastname@example.org